Financial Aid

Financial assistance is available to those students who qualify and who are enrolled in a program of training of 600 clock hours or more. The primary sources of financial aid offered by Collins Career Technical Center are Title IV Federal Pell Grants and Federal Direct Loans. The Pell Grant does not require repayment and is available to assist eligible students with tuition and school-related expenses. Eligibility for the Pell Grant is based on criteria such as the student's prior year income, tax paid, earned-income credit, family size and selected program of training. The Federal Direct Loan program are funds borrowed that must be repaid with interest.

Have you been selected for verification?

Here is information on how to order and submit the required tax information.
You will need your Social Security Number, date of birth and exact address on file with the IRS;
If you owe taxes, the IRS will not release the tax transcript until payment is received;
It may take up to 2 weeks from when you file your tax return before the transcript becomes available to order / be mailed to you.

CHOOSE from one of the following on HOW TO ORDER A TAX RETURN TRANSCRIPT
Request an official IRS Tax Transcript by calling 1-800-908-9946 or
Request a Tax Transcript online at
under the orange Tools heading, click on Get Transcript of your tax records * Select either Get Transcript Online to print your transcript immediately – OR -select Get Transcript by Mail to have it mailed in 5 to 10 days.
Get Transcript Online option (upon availability): You will be asked to create an account and they will instantly email you a confirmation code. The code is only good for 30 minutes so you will need access to your email and a printer if you choose this option.
**IMPORTANT NOTES** The e-mail could possibly go to your SPAM folder so be sure to check there for it; You may need to turn off pop up blocker; If you use Safari, you may have difficulty printing
Make sure to order the Tax Return Transcript and not IRS tax account transcript.
Federal Tax information is needed but we cannot accept paper copies of your and your parents (if dependent) federal 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ tax returns to verify the income reported on your FAFSA. This is why you need to request a “Tax Return Transcript” from the IRS to submit to the Financial Aid Office.

Upon receipt of the Tax Return Transcript(s), contact your Financial Aid Consultant.
**Remember: Do NOT send copies of Federal or State Tax Returns. Incomplete verification holds up financial aid award disbursements/payments.

Have a question?

Q: If I am eligible for Financial Aid, how does that work? Do I still make tuition payments?

A. If you are eligible for a Pell Grant and/or Federal Direct Loan funds that cover your entire tuition, you are not required to make any tuition payments (as long as you remain enrolled full­time). Our records will indicate that your tuition is being paid by the Financial Aid. If you were eligible for a partial Pell Grant and/ Student Loan where all of your tuition was not covered by Financial Aid, you are required to start making payments on the balance not covered. The amount you are to pay by the semester is set up with you during your Financial Aid appointment. Your tuition payments are due within the first two weeks of each semester and must be paid in full before advancing on to the next semester.

Q: Is there a lifetime maximum limit on the pell grant?

A. Yes, there is a lifetime maximum eligibility limit on the Pell Grant. Once you have utilized 600% (equivalent of six years) of Pell Grant funds, you are no longer eligible for the Pell Grant. Students starting at Collins with percentages between 500% and 599%, their Pell Grant Award is pro-rated (reduced) based on the percentage of eligibility the student has remaining.

Q: I transferred to collins from another school in the same award/school year, does this affect my aid amounts?

A. Yes, any Pell Grant and/or Federal Direct Loans disbursed on your behalf at another school must be deducted from what you are eligible for at Collins Career Technical Center. Student is responsible for notifying the Financial Aid Office that s/he has transferred in and used aid another school.

Q: I received transfer credit for classes i took prior to enrolling at collins – i do not have to take those classes at collins ­ does this affect my aid amounts?

A. Yes, depending on your program of training’s total number of clock hours, financial aid amounts may be reduced by the number of hours you received credit for. Financial Aid disbursement dates will be different from and disbursed later than the rest of the students in your program. You must be enrolled more than 12 clock hours per week to receive Federal Direct Loan funds; therefore, if your transfer credits drop you below that, you are not eligible for loans until you are above 12 hours per week. Tuition is not adjusted for transfer credits.

Q: When will I receive my Financial Aid (Pell Grant and/or Loans)?

A. The financial aid will be disbursed in one disbursement per payment period (disbursements dates to be determined). the financial aid office will deduct what is due for tuition then any overage will be issued to you to use for other school related expenses, textbooks, travel, living expenses, etc. your first financial aid disbursement typically does not come in until you have been in class for approximately 30 days (depending on program of training). financial aid is not predisbursed before you start class.

Q: What about my books and uniforms? How does my Financial Aid pay for those?

A. Since your Financial Aid is not predisbursed, you will have to purchase these items “out­of­pocket” and then get reimbursed from your Financial Aid when it comes in (if you have sufficient aid to allow for reimbursement). Note. Please see your Financial Aid Consultant if you have difficulty purchasing textbooks.